Multiple Chiasms and Parallelisms in Exodus 33


God made us so good at spotting patterns that sometimes we see them when they aren't there. I have to wonder if this might be one of those times. Although the presence of patterns in this passage is certain, I am less confident that I have diagrammed them correctly.

A Chiasm in Exodus 33:7

  • And Moses took the tabernacle and pitched it outside the camp, far off from the camp. 
    • And he called it the tabernacle of the congregation. 
  • And it happened that everyone seeking Jehovah went to the tabernacle of the congregation which was outside the camp.

A Chiasm in Exodus 33:8

  • And it happened as Moses went to the tabernacle, 
    • the people all rose and stood, each one at the door of his tent.
  • And they looked after Moses until he had gone into the tabernacle. 

A Parallelism in Exodus 33:9-11a

  • And it happened as Moses went into the tabernacle, 
    • the pillar of cloud would come down and stand at the door of the tabernacle. 
      • And He spoke with Moses. 
  • And all the people would see the pillar of the cloud standing at the door of the tabernacle. 
    • And all the people rose and bowed themselves, each one at the door of his tent. 
      • And Jehovah would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.

A Chiasm in Exodus 33:11b-12a

  • And he would return to the camp. And his attendant, Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not leave the middle of the tabernacle. 
    • And Moses said to Jehovah, Behold, 
    • You are saying to me, Cause this people to go up.
  •  And You, You have not told me whom You will send with me. 

A Chiasm in Exodus 33:12b-17

  • And yet You have said, I know you by name, and 
    • also you have found favor in My eyes. And now, if I have found favor in Your eyes, please make me see Your ways, and let me know You, so that I may find favor in Your eyes; and consider that this nation is Your people. 
      • And He said, My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. 
      • And they said to Him, If Your presence does not go, do not cause us to go up from here. 
    • And now by what can it be known that I and Your people have found favor in Your eyes? Is it not in Your going with us? And we are distinguished, I and Your people, from all the nations which are on the face of the earth? And Jehovah said to Moses, This thing which you have spoken I will do. For you have found favor in My eyes, and 
  • I know you by name. 

A Chiasm in Exodus 33:18-23

  • And he said, I pray, let me see Your glory. 
    • And He said, I will cause all My goodness to pass before your face. And I will call out the name of Jehovah before your face. 
      • And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy. 
    • And He said, You are not able to see My face; for no man can see Me and live. And Jehovah said, Behold, a place by Me! And you shall stand on a rock. 
  • And as My glory is passing it will be that I will put you in a cleft of the rock; and I will cover My hand over you during My passing. And I will remove My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face cannot be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something.