Election 2016 - Jay's Conservative Litmus Test

Election 2016: Grading the Republican Presidential Candidates

I very strongly believe that people backing their party's nominee regardless of the nominee's actual qualifications for the job or political views has been a complete disaster for the United States. Democrats cry for liberal policies, Republicans cry for conservative policies, and both parties only get bigger, more tyrannical government.

I'm not a member of any political party and don't intend to become one. I refuse to play that game. I vote in the primaries, but I don't play team politics. I doubt there's anything the Democrats could do to get my vote this decade, and the GOP will only get it if they nominate worthwhile candidates. Bush (all of them), McCain, Romney, Dole... These are the candidates of a party that values power, control, and money, not traditional American values like liberty and faith.

I don't demand perfection. I don't demand ideological purity. But I do have standards. I refuse to vote for any candidate for state-level or higher office who is not wholeheartedly defend the lives of unborn children, who will not protect the freedoms enshrined in the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments, who will not stand against the pervert mob and the invading masses, nor stand in favor of faith in God.

I don't care what party he (or she for the pathologically pedantic) belongs to. If he can't pass these tests, he can't have my vote.


CandidatePro-LifePro-1APro-2APro-4AGay MarriageImmigrationReligionTotal Score
Jeb BushCCBFDFC10/D+
Ted CruzAAABABA28/A
Chris ChristieFDDFDFC5/F
Rand PaulAABACDD19/B-
John KasichBCBCBFB16/C
Donald TrumpCDBFBFC11/D
Rick SantorumADADACB19/B-
Lindsey GrahamACAFBFA17/C+
Carly FiorinaCDAFDCC12/C-
Scott WalkerABAFCAA21/B
Rick PerryABAFABA22/B
Marco RubioBBBFADC16/C
Bobby JindalABBFAAC20/B
Ben CarsonCCBBCDB16/C
Mike Huckabee
George PatakiC

There's no science behind these scores. They don't represent months of research, just a brief scan of public statements and historical behavior. I might change some of these grades as I learn more, and I'll fill in the rest over time.

More importantly, they don't represent all possible factors that should determine whether or not a candidate is a good choice. Foreign affairs, state's rights, familial history, gut-feelings...these are all important, yet they aren't on this chart. Why? Because I'll consider those things only after I've eliminated the no-brainers. If a candidate gets below C on any of these issues, there's no point in looking further.

Feel free to make your own suggestions in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something.