FLDS Hostile to Strangers?

My husband paid his first visit to Colorado City, home of the FLDS, on Saturday….As he filled his truck with gas, none of the people who’d stopped to fill their vehicles would meet his glance. Inside the store, he held a door open for two young women. They didn’t look at him or offer a word of thanks.
He was hungry, so he checked the shelves for a snack. At the counter, he tried to make small talk with an older woman working the cash register.
Silence.
“The feeling I got is I don’t exist,” he told me later. “I am not a human. I’d rather they call me names. At least they’d be acknowledging I am alive.”
He couldn’t get over it. “That is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. It’s like the Twilight Zone. I can’t believe people will be like that. Poor souls.” -Brooke Adams, “Fearing the different
One of the defining characteristics of a godless people is hostility toward outsiders. It was one of Sodom’s main sins. Strangers are one of God’s three protected classes: widows, orphans, and strangers. I don’t know anything about Hilldale or Colorado City. I’ve never been there, and I’ve never met anyone from there. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of Adams’ comments (although she seems fair from what I’ve read). However if that attitude is standard among the FLDS group, she is right that it is unquestionably “un-Christ like behavior.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something.