Taking the Name of Israel

But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine….Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west; I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth; Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. Bring forth the blind people that have eyes, and the deaf that have ears. Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me….
Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen: Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen. For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses. One shall say, I am the LORD’S; and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob; and another shall subscribe with his hand unto the LORD, and surname himself by the name of Israel.
When Israel left Egypt, a "mixed multitude" left with them and became a part of the nation of Israel. When they stood with Israel before the mountain of God, they spoke along with the rest of the nation and promised to obey and hear God’s laws.

Just like the first Exodus, in the latter Exodus a mixed multitude will accompany the natural born children of Israel out of the world and into the Promised Land. They are those who were of Israel, were scattered, and have forgotten their identity. They are also those who were born into the nations and were ignorant of God’s laws and love (i.e. blind and deaf), but who have eyes to see and ears to hear the truth. They have stood up and claimed the name of God’s chosen people for their own. They are chosen by God for their willingness to obey and to hear, and not for any great acts of righteousness. They are Israel alongside their Jewish brothers who have not rejected God in favor of the traditions of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something.